Container orchestration automates the deployment, management, scaling, and networking of containers across the cluster
It is focused on managing the life cycle of containers.
Enterprises that need to deploy and manage hundreds or thousands of Linux® containers and hosts can benefit from container orchestration.
Container orchestration is used to automate the following tasks at scale:
- Configuring and scheduling of containers
- Provisioning and deployment of containers
- Redundancy and availability of containers
- Scaling up or removing containers to spread application load evenly across host infrastructure
- Movement of containers from one host to another if there is a shortage of resources in a host, or if a host dies
- Allocation of resources between containers
- External exposure of services running in a container with the outside world
- Load balancing of service discovery between containers
- Health monitoring of containers and hosts